Tid Bits

Copperstone is owned and operated by Kerr Mines. The Copperstone Mine has produced over one-half million ounces of gold. They are going back underground and are now underway on Phase 2. The men have been working hard to get Copperstone back on line. It’s pumped out. They’re setting up new pumping stations, Rehab bolting and running new utlilities. Won’t be long and they’ll be producing $ GOLD $. Still a few more things to do.

But as soon as RC drilling program is completed, it will be ready to Rock and Roll.


Colonel William R. Wallace

After starting the Oreornogo claim (later to be known as the Hecla) in 1883, Colonel William R. Wallace (not a real colonel) purchased eighty acres of land at the confluence of the major canyons near Burke. The land was covered with large cedars and was swampy. He purchased the land with Sioux scrip that was later declared illegal tender, causing property ownership disputes that lasted for years.
He built a cabin in 1884 and called the new community Placer Center. His wife, Lucy, arrived in the following year, changed the town’s name to Wallace, and became its first postmaster for a population of fourteen people. Colonel Wallace died in 1901, in Wittier, California. The newspaper epitaph only mentioned that he was a cousin to General Wallace, the author of Ben Hur. Idaho’s first Territorial Governor in 1863 was named William H. Wallace, but was not related to the town’s founder.

In its infancy it has had Colorful names and characters: Molly b’Damn, Terrible Edith, three Earp brothers (Wyatt was a registered voter), Bronco Liz and Calamity Jane. It has had highwaymen who held up wagons, men on horseback, railway express cars, and some who even went into a tunnel to accomplish their nefarious deed.

Names: Beaver changed to Delta, Hayes City to Eagle, Butte City to Littlefield, McAulay to Sunnyside, Milo and Wardner Junction to Kellogg, Kentuck to Wardner, Georgetown to Osburn, Swingdoor to Silverton, Monarch to Blackcloud, Placer Center to Wallace, Davenport to Gem, Nigger Prairie and McFarland to Mullan.



May Arkwright Hutton,

a cook who became a May Huttonwealthy silver mine owner in Wallace, with helping women win the right to vote in 1896, making our state fourth in the union to do so.

“In Idaho, she was a worker for social justice and a character,” Katherine G. Aiken, UI history professor and associate dean of the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, told a UI Extension tour audience. They sat on the lawn of the Huttons’ former Wallace home one July evening, after touring the home, now owned by local antique dealers.

Raised by her blind Ohio grandfather, May Arkwright accompanied him to public meetings, where she learned about the hard life of coal miners. She and her grandfather also listened to street orators. One, William McKinney, later president of the United States, patted the young May on the head and said, “I hope that one day you might live and vote under equal suffrage.” Her love for politics and the downtrodden never dimmed. Kathy Aiken


UI historian/author
Katherine Aiken stands just
outside former Hutton home
in Wallace, Idaho, to share
tales of their influence in Idaho.


In 1885 she signed on as a cook and joined a crew of coal miners aboard a train to Idaho in search of riches.

At Silver Valley, she cooked at a boarding house along the railroad tracks in Wardner near Kellogg. A locomotive engineer, Levi W. (Al) Hutton, became a regular customer, then her husband in 1887.

The Huttons bought a share in the Hercules Mine, where May mostly served as the cook while the men worked, although accounts note that she at times worked in the mine alongside them.

Speaking out for underdogs
Large of spirit and body (6-foot tall, 225 pounds), May Hutton worked hard and spoke her mind.

Arguing that women were smart enough to vote, and worked hard, she gave speeches and entertained the rich and famous, including Sen. William Borah and Clarence Darrow, to make her case. In1896 Idaho passed a constitutional amendment allowing women to vote. She also was a voice for miners during disputes with management.

When Al Hutton’s train was commandeered by a mob of miners before the Bunker Hill concentrator was dynamited in 1899, her husband was arrested. Al spent several days imprisoned in the bull-pen guarded by federal troops after martial law.